Just 12 miles southwest of Downtown Minneapolis you’ll find this gem of a suburb. Eden Prairie is as idyllic as its name suggests – it embodies everything people love about Minnesota, from the 17 gleaming lakes that dot the landscape, to over 200 miles of scenic trails and sidewalks that will impress even the most seasoned hiker.
It consistently ranks among the best suburbs, not just in Minnesota, but in the whole nation, thanks to its green environment, quality of life, great public schools, and high employment.
Native Americans were the earliest known inhabitants of the area now known as Eden Prairie. An 1851 treaty opened lands to the west of the Mississippi River to European settlers.
It remained a sleepy farming community from 1880 through to the 1960s, with the population growing very slowly.
The opening of Flying Cloud Airport in 1946 and Eden Prairie Mall and Interstate 494 in the mid-70s were among the first signs of massive development.
The parks and recreation system would also expand between the 1960s and 1970s.
By 2000, the population had ballooned to nearly 60,000, with the suburb transforming from an agricultural area to the exciting live-work-play community that it is today.
Living in Eden Prairie
Eden Prairie is known for its eco-friendly, solar-ready homes, which are made of reclaimed material and replete with green features. Sustainability is more than just a buzzword – it’s a way of life for residents, who take proactive measures to minimize the use of chemical treatments in gardening and relying on rainfall to keep outdoor spaces healthy, among other green practices.
This attitude extends to the economy, which is driven by independently owned, self-sustaining businesses that offer word-class dining and shopping. Companies like C.H. Robinson, Optum, Supervalu, and Starkey have their headquarters here and present exciting career opportunities to those who want to move up in life.
The arrival of the Southwest light rail extension will connect Eden Prairie to Downtown Minneapolis, giving residents more mobility. Not that they have to go far from home to have a great time – home to over 1,000 well-maintained parks and 2,800 thriving businesses, locals have a variety of green spaces, shops, and restaurants to choose from.
Another highlight is the school system, which boasts the highest average percentage of graduates enrolled in college out of all Lake Conference schools for more than 10 years. It also enrolls the largest number of students out of any school system in Gopher State.
The housing market is quite diverse, with a large selection of single-family homes, townhomes, and condos.
Aside from the ground-breaking, eco-friendly neighborhood of Eden Gardens, buyers can choose from several enclaves, each with its own flavor and personality. Edenvale, Creek Knolls, Fairfield, Bear Path – these sought after neighborhoods are just some of your choices.
Amenities and attractions
- Trail System – Go walking, jogging, biking, and skating along 102 miles of paved trails in the Trail System. These trails border sparkling lakes and sidewalks, and some of them go to the furthest reaches of Eden Prairie’s boundaries.
- Winter Park – This training venue was a mecca of sorts among Vikings fans, housing the famous football team’s offices, lockers, and practice fields. The venue is set to be converted into 20 state-of-the-art pickup soccer fields.
- Staring Lake Observatory – The nine-foot tall Cassegrain telescope is among the largest of its kind in Minnesota and serves as the crowning jewel of Staring Lake.
- Bryant Lake Regional Park – This outdoor haven encompasses 170 acres of gently rolling hills, grasslands, woodlands, and wetlands, and is home to a population of spot deer, waterfowl, and other wildlife.
- Round Lake State Plaza – Bring your board and skate over concrete ramps, rails, flat bars, and hubba and grind ledges.
- Eden Prairie Art Center – The center nurtures local talent by offering studio time and programs that cover drawing, painting, glass fusing, and ceramics.
Discover everything Eden Prairie real estate has to offer. TWINCITIES.REALESTATE is here to assist you. Call us at (612) 807-9650 or send an email to Info(at)TwinCities(dotted)RealEstate.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.